Much of South Africa is exposed to the cooling influence of the Atlantic and Indian oceans, which meet off Cape Agulhas. It’s this cooler climate that enables South Africa to produce top-class white wines, from Bordeaux-style whites to Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay and Rhône-influenced blends.
What is the best South African white wine?
Top 15 South African white wines
- Missionvale Chardonnay 2018. …
- Apogée Chardonnay 2018. …
- (Stellenbosch Manor) Barrel Fermented Chenin Blanc 2019. …
- 1707 White Reserve 2019. …
- Old Vine Chenin Blanc 2019. …
- Endura Single Vineyard Chenin Blanc 2017. …
- The Bernard Series Whole Bunch Roussanne 2020. …
- Albertus Viljoen Chenin Blanc 2018.
What type of wine is produced in South Africa?
Just as the wildlife industry has the Big Five, the South African wine industry boasts the Big Six, which refers to the cultivars: Pinotage, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.
Does South Africa produce wine?
South African Wine and Vineyards
The vineyards of South Africa cover 140 000 hectares mainly in the province of Western Cape. … South Africa was the 8th biggest wine producer in the world in 2015 with around 1,130 million liters of wine produced, just before China (source OIV).
What wine is South Africa famous for?
At one time, the sweet wine of Constantia was the most prized in the world. The most important South African wine regions are around the two cities of Stellenbosch and Paarl. A range of wine styles are made, from stunning blockbuster reds to full bodied Chardonnay and crisp, refreshing Sauvignon Blanc.
What is the most popular wine in South Africa?
Top 10 South African red wines
- Malbec 2015. Mt Vernon. …
- Syrah 2018. Glen Carlou. …
- Skyfall Cabernet Sauvignon 2015. Bartinney. …
- Southern Point Shiraz-Merlot 2019. International Procurement and Logistics. …
- Royal Nymphomane 2015. La Vierge. …
- The Best Shiraz 2019. Morrisons. …
- Chocoholic Pinotage 2018. Darling Cellars. …
- Syrah 2018. La Motte.
What is the most expensive wine in South Africa?
Most Expensive South African Wine
|Wine Name||Grape||Avg Price|
|Tokara ‘Telos’, Stellenbosch, South Africa||Cabernet Sauvignon||$310|
|De Toren The Black Lion Shiraz, Stellenbosch, South Africa||Shiraz||$262|
|De Toren Expression Unique Book XVII Red, Stellenbosch, South Africa||Cabernet Sauvignon – Malbec||$252|
What makes South Africa wine unique?
2. South Africa Has Its Own Unique Wine – Pinotage. Many different grape varietals thrive in South Africa’s fertile soil, which in turn allows for a wide variety of wines to be available including Pinotage, Chenin Blanc, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.
What is South Africa famous for?
South Africa, the southernmost country on the African continent, renowned for its varied topography, great natural beauty, and cultural diversity, all of which have made the country a favoured destination for travelers since the legal ending of apartheid (Afrikaans: “apartness,” or racial separation) in 1994.
What are the top 10 wines?
Top 10 Wines of 2020 Revealed on WineSpectator.com
- Beaux Frères | Pinot Noir Ribbon Ridge The Beaux Frères Vineyard 2018 | 95 Score | $95 | 3,088 Cases Made | Willamette Valley, Oregon.
- Bollinger | Brut Champagne La Grande Année 2012 | 97 Score | $175 | 850 Cases Imported | Champagne, France.
Is fruit from South Africa safe to eat?
South African Fruit is very edible , tasty and healthy. In Fact the average SA Farmer exports their best fruit overseas. The fruit in many cases are in fact the same type of fruit you get in other countries . We do have local fruit like the Marula , but they are also healthy and tasty.
How much wine does South Africa export?
South Africa’s 2020 wine exports reach 319-million litres despite market challenges. South Africa’s wine export volumes of 2020, which amount to 319.2-million litres, echo that of a challenging 2019, despite a five-week-long ban on exports and challenges at the Cape Town Port terminal owing to Covid-19.
Where is the wine region in South Africa?
The Cape winelands stretch from the rugged mountains and multi-directional slopes of the coastal region to the open plains of the Klein Karoo where viticulture takes place mainly in the riverine valleys. South Africa’s vineyards are mostly situated in the Western Cape near the coast.
What is the best red wine to drink in South Africa?
Areas such as Paarl, Stellenbosch, Swartland, Walker Bay and Franschhoek have all become synonymous with top quality wines. The most popular red wines are shiraz (syrah), cabernet sauvignon, along with cinsault (or cinsaut), pinot noir and the homegrown Cape favourite, pinotage.
Is South African red wine good?
South Africa has a wonderful vibrant red wine industry. It is considered “new world” by many although actually dates back to the mid 17th century when French Huguenots settled there and planted vines. Historic centres like the beautiful Franschoek valley still bear many French names for the properties and wine farms.
What is the best wine in the world?
What is the number 1 wine in the world? The best overall wine of the world is Catena Zapata Adrianna Vineyard Fortuna Terrae Malbec 2016, renowned for its rich, aromatic aromas, full body and elegant, layered notes.